After playing around with the software for a few minutes, I found the Timeline Template to be very user friendly and easy to operate. Our timeline ended up turning out better than most of my team had hoped, displaying a very diverse and informative collection of content from comic books and rock magazines. (The link can be seen at the bottom of this post) At first our timeline looked very rough, we had trouble figuring out how to change the colors and our images were not cropped and difficult to read. While work-shopping our timeline in class, we gained some insight on both of these aspects as well as some other small details that could be fixed. This was a major turning point in the creation of our timeline because it gave us the opportunity to hear what other people had to say about it and we were able to clean it up a lot. I would suggest to anyone in the future who is trying to use the timeline software to look up tutorials and instructions on how to incorporate the google doc and flickr pictures before trying to make the timeline because it can be a little confusing at first.
Having always been really interested in rock music, I found having the opportunity to work with the rock magazines to be very interesting. Most of the magazines and comics were from the early nineteen-seventies and were very different from most media you find today. The comics had different themes and ideas than most modern superhero pieces, which have a greater emphasis on themes such as horrific violence. As far as the rock magazines, they went into greater detail about actual musical content and what was going on in the world of rock and roll rather than just coming off as gossip magazines such as most found today. However, when working with these materials, one needs to keep in mind that people had different values then and so if there is any content that would not be politically correct today to not take too much offense to it.
While creating the timeline, I found my image for the article Friendly Sex with Maria Muldaur out of Creem magazine to be very messy and did not look good in the final product. The image was crooked, not cropped well, and had my fingers in the bottom right corner. I ended up adjusting the image and cropping it so the article could be read better, as well as using the paint tool to cover over the little bit of wood and my fingertips that could still be seen after cropping. Overall I think the photoshop went over well because it would not be very noticeable to someone who did not know, all while sticking to our theme of letting the photos speak for themselves without too much added details. The images below shows the steps of my photoshop experience with the image; the first picture being the original, the second image is after adjusting and cropping, and the third is after covering over my fingertips and the table.